Tuesday, August 5, 2014

MFT August Release Countdown + TWO video tutorials!


Welcome to this month's Release Countdown with My Favorite Things! You will find complete details each day on the MFT Blog, including how you can win prizes and full reveals of featured products.

This month we are getting spooky and so much more! I cannot wait to show you all the amazing products MFT has in store for the August release!


Look at these darling country-shabby images from this set called Trick or Treat! I have been using my colored pencils again and kind of stumbled across a pretty cool technique. I wanted to create a more solid background behind this scene I stamped with Hybrid Black Licorice ink. As I thought about my pencils and how waxy they are, I thought of a technique I did as a kiddo and as a teacher. When you watercolor over waxy crayons, it creates a resist. Why not with waxy pencils?! Check out the video tutorial below to see how this works!





Once I finished my image, I layered it onto a piece of Sour Apple cardstock. For the card base, I stamped Star Background with Sweet Tooth ink. A strip of Orange Fizz cardstock was added to the center. It was not really enough on its own, so I stamped it with the new Cheesecloth Background with Orange Fizz ink. Man, I just LOVE these images, the scene, and how the technique turned out!


Staying with the shabby look, I knew when I picked up this chalkboard easel from Michael's the other day, it would be perfect to use for a scene with Trick or Treat!


I stamped the sentiment and other images with an ink made for smooth surfaces. How cute is that!?!


Then I used Die-namics Trick or Treat to cut out the images from Smooth White cardstock. I colored them using colored pencils and Gamsol. Its not the fanciest color job, but its cute and works perfect for these images! I made another tutorial about how to use the Gamsol. Its brief, but shows you how easy it is!


Direct link for those that need it: Blending Color Pencils with Gamsol

There you have it! Another release is underway! I look forward to sharing a bunch of projects with you over the next week! Head over to the MFT Blog for all the details. I didn't even share HALF of what is being shown today! Go! :)

thanks for stopping by!

~kimberly

Supplies for Halloween Hello card:



Supplies for Chalkboard:


21 comments:

Kari V. said...

Too fun! Love your projects.

Kathy Krug said...

Cute scenes and great colors.

Taasha Blevins said...

Love the technique! Great scene!

Debbie Nelson said...

Fun cards! So many memories of my daughter reciting the "Smell my feet" sentiment...long ago! Thank you for sharing!

wendy said...

fun cards thanks for the tutorials !

Detra said...

Really cute cards!! Loving this stamp release.

Birgit said...

Cute projects!

Unknown said...

Too cute. Love Halloween cards.

The Whitworth Family said...

Your projects are simply adorable. Love the Halloween stuff and cant wait to see more!

Parker said...

I like both cards. I esp. like how, on the 2nd card, the "monster" is popped up higher than the cauldron. Good job.

Katia said...

but projects are so funny!

Claudia Posada said...

Adorable inspire tenderness

Renee V said...

Very cute cards, thanks for the tip on the resist background wash! Very cool

Tracey said...

Wow! Loving these cards Kimberly!!

Pam Young said...

Love the background was!! Great funny projects and design!!

Carolee McCaslin said...

LOVE your projects and thanks for the tutorials!!

Anonymous said...

Oh how cute are these!!!

Nina said...

Love your scene cards - your colored pencils resist looks fabulous.

Nina said...

Love your scene cards - your colored pencils resist looks fabulous.

Sharon Harnist said...

Great colored pencil resist technique, Kimberly -- love it!! And your Halloween chalkboard is absolutely adorable -- great idea!

Unknown said...

Awe I love the grey sky background on the first card.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...