Thursday, June 18, 2015

creating frames with dies; MFT Stamps Die-namics Design


This month for the Die-namics Design Challenge we were to showcase the STAX dies. And only the basics; squares, circles, rectangles, and ovals. Sounds boring, right? Wrong! So many great things can be done with the four basic shapes, you would be surprised! Take a look at how I created a frame and a mask for this card!

Creating a frame with two dies is pretty easy, nest two dies together and pass through your machine. I took it one step farther and made a frame using two different sets of dies!

On my Sweet Tooth cardstock piece, I placed the largest die from Die-namics Cross-Stitch Rectangle STAX. (Ok, I cheated a little and used a fancy edge die, but I could not help myself, its so pretty!) I secured the die with a piece of low-tack tape.

On the inside of the rectangle die, I placed the third largest oval from Die-namics Oval STAX Set 1 and secured it with tape as well. As long as your die templates are not touching each other, or overlapping in any way, you can pass them through your manual die cutting machine at the same time!

Once I had my frame, which you can see below, I stamped it with Swiss Dot Background in Lemon Drop ink. I spread the color a bit with a wet paintbrush.

Note: I do not have magnetic plates for my die-cutting machine, which is why I use the low-tack tape. 

Knowing that I wanted the sentiment to show through the frame I created, I decided to create a background behind. Problem was, I needed to block off that spot to save it. Enter my wonderful STAX again! Using the same die from Die-namics Oval STAX Set 1, I die cut a Post-It note to create a mask.

With the mask in place, I stamped Roses All Over Background with watermark ink. Then it was heat after being sprinkled with white embossing power. I used my dye inks as watercolors and colored the background.

Isn't that a great look? Oh, and I cheated one more time, I simply had to add a watercolor butterfly to finish things off. I am obsessed with Die-namics Flutter of Butterflies-Solid.

Head to the MFT Blog to see some crazy brilliant ways to use your basic STAX. I was incredibly inspired by the projects!

thanks for stopping by!

~kimberly


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...